Chester F. Phelps Wildlife Management Area
This range has not been reviewed yet.
Address: 5669 Sumerduck Road
Remington, VA 22734
Range Type: Pistol, Rifle
Hours: dawn to dusk
Days Open: September 1 to March 31, closed on Mondays.
Latitude: 38.53597 Longitude: -77.80756
Phone: 540 899-4169
Maximum Distance: yards
Firing Points: 0
Handguns Allowed: Yes
Rifles Allowed: Yes
Range Status: Open
Cost for the Daily Access Permit is $4.
Cost for the Annual Access Permit is $23.
Cost for the Daily Group Access Permit varies depending on size of group: 01-12 = $25; 13-24 = $50; 25-36 = $75; 37-48 = $100; 49-60 = $125.
To get to the range take Route 651 south from Route 29 at Remington or north from Route 17 near Goldvien to Rogers Ford Road, Route 632. Following the range signs, go approximately 1 mile on Rt 632 and take a right onto the gravel hunter access road. Follow the access road and bear right at the end into the range parking area. No reservations are required.
1. The Range Is Open For Public Use Tuesday - Sunday From Sep 1 Until Mar 31. With The Exception Of State Holidays The C. F. Phelps Sighting - In Range Will Be Closed On Mondays For Maintenance. The Following Mondays Are State Holidays:
Labor Day (9:00 Am To 6:30 Pm)
Columbus Day (9:00 Am To 4:30 Pm)
Veterans' Day Observed (9:00 Am To 4:30 Pm)
Christmas Eve (9:00 Am To 4:30pm)
New Years' Eve (9:00 Am To 4:30 Pm)
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (9:00 Am To 4:30 Pm)
Presidents' Day (9:00 Am To 5:30 Pm)
2. Hours Of Operation:
Sep, Tuesday - Saturday 9am To 6:30pm. Sunday 1pm To 6:30pm
Oct - Jan, Tuesday - Saturday 9am To 4:30pm, Sunday 1pm To 4:30pm
Feb - Mar, Tuesday - Saturday 9am To 5:30pm, Sunday 1pm To 5:30pm
3. Shooters Must Wear Eye And Ear Protection.
4. Shoot Only From Designated Shooting Stations.
5. Only Rifles, Muzzleloading Rifles Or Shotguns Shooting At Stationary Targets Are Allowed. Single Shot Scoped Handguns Are Allowed, Otherwise No Handgun Shooting.
6. The Use Of Fully Automatic Firearms, Tracers, Incendiary Ammo Or Armor Piercing Ammunition Is Prohibited.
7. All Firearms Must Remain Unloaded With Actions Open Until Shooter Is Seated At Firing Position. Loaded Firearms Must Remain Pointed Down Range. Muzzle Should Always Be Pointed In A Safe Direction.
8. Before Going Down Range, Be Sure That Everyone Has Stopped Shooting. Call Out Loudly, "is It Safe To Go Down Range?"
9. The Handling Of Any Firearms Is Prohibited While Anyone Is Beyond The Firing Line.
10. All Targets Must Be Attached To Target Frames At Designated Locations. Shooting Of Target Supports Or Posts Is Prohibited.
11. Use Paper Targets Only. The Use Of Unauthorized Target Materials, Such As Cans Or Bottles, Is Prohibited.
12. Shooters Are Responsible For Cleaning Up All Brass, Shells And Target Materials. Keep The Range Clean And Safe By Taking Your Trash Home.
13. Organized Competitive Shooting Is Prohibited.
14. Alcohol, Narcotic Drugs Or Any Other Intoxicants Are Strictly Prohibited.
15. Restrict Shooting Time To One Hour When Others Are Waiting.
16. This Area Is Subject To Surveillance By Camera And Plain Clothes Personnel.
17. Report Violations Of Any Range Rules To The Virginia Wildlife Crime Line, 1-877-237-5712.
18. In Case Of An Emergency, Contact The Fauquier County Sheriff Department At 540-347-3300.
19. The Department Reserves The Right To Modify Rules And Close The Range To The General Public For Hunter Education Live Fire Activities Or Special Events.
The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries reserves the right to restrict access to Department owned facilities as needed.
VIOLATORS OF THE ABOVE RULES WILL BE PROSECUTED.